No Products in the Cart
Boost Your Energy in the Morning with Vegan Breakfast Quinoa
by Autumn Rivers
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day—especially if you plan to get in a morning workout. The go-to healthy breakfast for many might be eggs, with oatmeal being a close second. But these are not the only options when you need some energy to power your morning routine—there’s also breakfast quinoa. Quinoa is a super grain and adding it into your meal plan is a great way to get protein, fiber, iron, B vitamins, and other important nutrients that your body will love. In case that's not enough to get you on the quinoa train, it also happens to be both gluten free and vegan, making it a viable breakfast option for just about everyone. Whether you have some quinoa left over from last night's dinner or are ready to make a fresh batch for breakfast, here’s one of our favorite recipes, from the amazing Kevin Curry and his Fit Men Cook site (and if you're not yet a fan of this amazing site, get thee over there—it's awesome, especially for fitness-minded folks). FitMenCook’s Hi-Energy Vegan Breakfast Quinoa—a tasty morning meal that’s packed with complex carbs, natural sugars, and healthy fats. Ingredients for up to 5 servings of vegan breakfast quinoa:
- 2 cups of cooked quinoa
- 1/3 cup of chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup of naturally dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup of naturally dried cherries
- 1/4 cup of pepitas
- 1 tbsp. of ground cinnamon
- Chilled coconut or almond milk
- Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package—or reheat your leftover quinoa from last night—and then fluff it with a fork.
- Toss all the ingredients into a bowl and mix them together.
- Every morning, scoop out 3/4 cup of the quinoa mixture and then heat it in the microwave or convection oven for up to 1 minute.
- Pour in about 1/2 cup of cold coconut milk or almond milk.
- 228 calories
- 6 grams protein
- 9 grams fat
- 32 grams carbohydrates
- 4 grams fiber
- 12 grams sugar