What Is The Role Of Calcium In Your Body?

by Peter Bua
What Is The Role Of Calcium In Your Body?
From a very young age, you were probably told that getting enough calcium is essential to having good overall health. But were you ever told why that is? When you don't know why something works, you may not feel the importance of applying that practice to your daily life. Learn about what exactly calcium is and how it affects your body to truly understand why you need to eat calcium-rich food and order calcium supplements online.

What is calcium?

Calcium is a mineral. In fact, it is the most abundant mineral in the human body, accounting for about 2% of your total body weight. Despite its major presence in everyone's body, your age and gender will determine how much calcium you should consume. According to recommendations from the National Institutes of Health, children between the ages of nine and 18 should have 1,300 milligrams of calcium per day. Adults of any gender between the ages of 19 and 50 should get 1,000 milligrams of calcium per day, but that number increase to 1,200 milligrams per day when a woman turns 51 and a man turns 71.

What does calcium do?

While calcium performs a range of basic functions in your body, the most well-known is supporting bone health. This is indeed the primary function, as your body uses 99% of its calcium to support your skeletal structure and function by keeping your bones and teeth strong. The remaining 1% of calcium in your body plays an important part in blood clotting, muscle contraction, cell signaling, and nerve function. Your body's cells will use calcium to activate certain enzymes and send and receive neurotransmitters while communicating with other cells. Calcium found in nature carries a very small electrical charge. This makes calcium an electrolyte, meaning that it helps conduct electricity in the body. This characteristic makes calcium a key player in maintaining a regular heartbeat. It also means that the presence of calcium may temporarily lower your body's absorption rate of other naturally charged minerals, such as iron and zinc, as the body has a limit to the number of charged particles it can absorb at once. When you take calcium supplements or eat calcium-rich foods, be sure that you are still getting an appropriate amount of the other minerals your body needs. Whether you take calcium supplements for osteoporosis or simply to ensure good health, be sure to order Vitamin D supplements as well. Your body needs Vitamin D in order to successfully absorb calcium. Contact Fit Formula Wellness today to order the supplements you need for a healthy body.