The most common New Years resolution each year typically has something to do with getting healthy, exercising and losing weight. While the New Year is a great time to kick off or reboot your health journey, it’s important to not just have such a broad, rigorous or lofty goal that you find yourself quitting before the first month of the year is over. Sure, having a goal such as “putting your health first” is great but you’ll need to map out the habits and milestones needed to accomplish this goal in order to even have a chance at success.
Here are 6 healthy habit resolutions that are smarter than just “lose weight” and serve to help you accomplish a life changing health goal one day at a time so you can make 2017 your healthiest year yet!
- Take 2 hours each Saturday or Sunday to plan your meals for the week, grocery shop and meal prep. Planning ahead helps kick your week off right by having a game plan, looking at which night you’ll need to have a crockpot meal ready based on your schedule and keeps you accountable. Here are three free meal plans from Jess Dang of CookSmarts (last year’s Unbreakable Winner) to get you started.
- Schedule your workout time on your calendar like you would any other important meeting. Scheduling your workout time keeps you accountable and makes it non-negotiable. I even share my schedule with my husband so he knows when I plan to work out so he can plan accordingly as well. Google calendar even has a feature to help schedule your workout times for you.
- Set short-term monthly goals. Perhaps you want to run 3 miles without stopping at the end of the month, lose 2lbs, taking your vitamins daily, workout 4 times per week and eat out only once per week. Write a few goals that matter to you down and post them somewhere visible that you can look at each day. Track your weekly progress and don’t let a little slip up set you back. Maybe you only worked out 2x one week, that’s ok you can make up for it with a harder or extra workout the following week.
- Try a new superfood or recipe each week. Trying new healthy, in-season foods and recipes that promote good health can keep your health journey fresh and fun! Here are a few ideas of recipes and superfoods from Cal-EZ’s registered dietician, Danielle Omar.
- Get a buddy and stay accountable. This buddy could be an actual friend or two but it may also be something like a Fit Bit tracker, an Instagram account dedicated to your health journey, etc. Either way, sharing your journey and bringing people along with you keeps you motivated, accountable and inspired to keep going.
- Create a healthy sleep routine & get enough sleep. If you have any chance of sticking to your healthy resolutions, you must first and foremost get enough sleep. Even your iPhone recognizes the importance of consistent bed times and limited screen time. Figure out a good sleep routine (pediatricians tell parents of babies and children how important a routine is – the same goes for us adults except no one is bathing you, soothing you and putting you to bed but you!) and what habits help you sleep best.
What’s your 2017 health goals or habits you’d like to stick to? What tips did you find helpful and what would you add? Let us know in the comments!